I am a professor at the Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University, Canada. I am also the Director of the health informatics graduate program.
I lead the NICHE (kNowledge Intensive Computing for Healthcare Enterprises) research group. My research interest span across three areas: (1) Health Informatics, (2) Knowledge Management, and (3) Health Data Analytics.
My research projects have been funded by both government agencies, organizations and industry, such as CANARIE, National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Canadian Foundation of Innovation (CFI), Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR), Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation (NSHRF), Green Shield Foundation Canada and Agfa Healthcare Canada.I teach specialized topics in health informatics such as healthcare knowledge management and healthcare data mining.
Journal of Medical Systems, 41 (9), pp. 139, 2017, ISSN: 1573-689X.
Knowledge-Based Systems, 133 , pp. 156-173, 2017, ISSN: 09507051.
A Digital Framework to Support Providers and Patients in Diabetes Related Behavior Modification Inproceedings
Informatics for Health (MIE2017), Manchester, April 24 - April 26, 2017, IOS Press, 2017.
Leveraging Medical Taxonomies to Improve Knowledge Management within Online Communities of Practice: The Knowledge Maps System Journal Article
Journal of Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 143 , pp. 121-127, 2017.
Discovering Central Practitioners in a Medical Discussion Forum Using Semantic Web Analytics Inproceedings
Informatics for Health (MIE2017), Manchester, UK, pp. 486-490, European Federation for Medical Informatics (EFMI) and IOS Press, 2017, ISSN: 1879-8365.
Monitoring Activities Related to Medication Adherence in Ambient Assisted Living Environments Inproceedings
Randell, Rebecca; Cornet, Ronald; McCowan, Colin; Peek, Niels; Scott, Philip J (Ed.): Informatics for Health: Connected Citizen-Led Wellness and Population Health (MIE 2017), Manchester, UK, April 24th-26th 2017, pp. 28-32, European Federation for Medical Informatics (EFMI) and IOS Press, 2017, ISSN: 1879-8365.
Journal of BioData Mining, 10 (7), 2017.
Monitoring Medication Adherence in Smart Environments in the Context of Patient Self-Management: A Knowledge-Driven Approach Book Chapter
Bouchard, Bruno; Bouzouane, Abdenour; Guillet, Sébastien (Ed.): Assistive Technologies in Smart Environments for People with Disabilities, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL, 2016, ISBN: 9781498722001.
Dalhousie University, 2016.
Transcription of Case Report Forms from Unstructured Referral Letters: A Semantic Text Analytics Approach Inproceedings
Exploring Complexity in Health: An Interdisciplinary Systems Approach. 26th European Medical Informatics Conference (MIE2016), Munich, pp. 322-326, IOS Press, 2016.
An Ontological Model of Behaviour Theory to Generate Personalized Action Plans to Modify Behaviours Inproceedings
Exploring Complexity in Health: An Interdisciplinary Systems Approach. 26th European Medical Informatics Conference (MIE2016), Munich, pp. 399-403, IOS Press, 2016.
A Digital Health System to Assist Family Physicians to Safely Prescribe NOAC Medication Inproceedings
Exploring Complexity in Health: An Interdisciplinary Systems Approach. 26th European Medical Informatics Conference (MIE2016), Munich, pp. 519-523, IOS Press, 2016.
A Semantic Web-based Approach to Plausible Reasoning for Improving Clinical Knowledge Engineering Conference
IEEE International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics, Las Vegas, 2016.
IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 20 (1), pp. 424-431, 2016, ISSN: 2168-2208.
IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 20 (1), pp. 388-398, 2016, ISSN: 2168-2194.
Rule Technologies. Research, Tools, and Applications - 10th International Symposium, RuleML 2016, Stony Brook, NY, USA, July 6-9, 2016. Proceedings, pp. 341–349, 2016.
Proceedings of International Workshop on Biomedical Data Mining, Modeling, and Semantic Integration: A Promising Approach to Solving Unmet Medical Needs (BDM2I2015), 2015.
INITIATE: An Intelligent Adaptive Alert Environment Inproceedings
MEDINFO 2015: eHealth-enabled Health - Proceedings of the 15th World Congress on Health and Biomedical Informatics, Sao Paulo, Brazil, pp. 285–289, IOS Press, 2015, ISBN: 978-1-61499-563-0.
MEDINFO 2015: eHealth-enabled Health - Proceedings of the 15th World Congress on Health and Biomedical Informatics, Sao Paulo, Brazil, pp. 118–122, IOS Press, 2015, ISBN: 978-1-61499-563-0.
IEEE International Congress on Big Data, New York City, NY, USA, pp. 416–423, IEEE Press, 2015, ISBN: 978-1-4673-7278-7.
A Clinical Decision Support Framework to Monitor and Manage Atrial Fibrillation Patients Inproceedings
17th International Symposium on Health Information Management Research, York, UK, 2015.
Towards a 'Big' Health Data Analytics Platform Inproceedings
First IEEE International Conference on Big Data Computing Service and Applications, BigDataService, Redwood City, CA, USA, pp. 233–241, IEEE Press, 2015, ISBN: 978-1-4799-8128-1.
Śl?zak, Dominik; Nguyen, Hung Son; Reformat, Marek; Jr., Eugene Santos (Ed.): 2014 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI 2014), pp. 126–133, IEEE Computer Society Press, Warsaw, Poland, 2014.
The Semantic Web - ISWC 2014 - 13th International Semantic Web Conference, Riva del Garda, Italy, October 19-23, 2014. Proceedings, Part I, pp. 389–408, 2014.
Knowl. Inf. Syst., 38 (3), pp. 641–667, 2014.
e-Health - For Continuity of Care - Proceedings of MIE2014, the 25th European Medical Informatics Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, August 31 - September 3, 2014, pp. 18–22, 2014.
2014 IEEE International Conference on Big Data, Big Data 2014, Washington, DC, USA, October 27-30, 2014, pp. 1040–1048, 2014.
e-Health - For Continuity of Care - Proceedings of MIE2014, the 25th European Medical Informatics Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, August 31 - September 3, 2014, pp. 303–307, 2014.
AAAI Workshop on Artificial Intelligence Applied to Assistive Technologies and Smart Environments (ATSE 2014), AAAI Press, Quebec, Canada, 2014.
2014 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conferences on Web Intelligence (WI) and Intelligent Agent Technologies (IAT), Warsaw, Poland, August 11-14, 2014 - Volume I, pp. 266–273, 2014.
D-WISE: Diabetes Web-Centric Information and Support Environment: conceptual specification and proposed evaluation. Journal Article
Can J Diabetes, 38 (3), pp. 205-11, 2014, ISSN: 2352-3840.
Linking Like-minded Professionals within an Online Medical Community Based on their Message Content Inproceedings
Abidi, Syed; Bath, Peter (Ed.): 16th Intl. Symp. on Health Information Management Research, Halifax, 2013.
4th Canadian Semantic Web Symposium part of the Semantic Trilogy 2013, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 10th, 2013., pp. 5–11, 2013.
Process Support and Knowledge Representation in Health Care - AIME 2013 Joint Workshop, KR4HC 2013/ProHealth 2013, Murcia, Spain, June 1, 2013, Revised Selected Papers, pp. 97–112, 2013.
2013 IEEE International Symposium on Parallel & Distributed Processing, Workshops and Phd Forum, Cambridge, MA, USA, May 20-24, 2013, pp. 2091–2100, 2013.
14th Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, AIME 2013, Murcia, Spain, May 29 - June 1, 2013. Proceedings, pp. 28–32, 2013.
MEDINFO 2013 - Proceedings of the 14th World Congress on Medical and Health Informatics, 20-13 August 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark, pp. 447–451, 2013.
IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 16 (1), pp. 129–135, 2012.
25th IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 20-22, 2012, Rome, Italy, pp. 1–4, 2012.
25th IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 20-22, 2012, Rome, Italy, pp. 1–4, 2012.
45th Hawaii International International Conference on Systems Science (HICSS-45 2012), Proceedings, 4-7 January 2012, Grand Wailea, Maui, HI, USA, pp. 3030–3038, 2012.
Applying Social Network Analysis to Understand the Knowledge Sharing Behaviour of Practitioners in a Clinical Online Discussion Forum. Journal Article
Journal of Medical Internet Research, 14 (6), pp. e170, 2012, ISSN: 1438-8871.
44th Hawaii International International Conference on Systems Science (HICSS-44 2011), Proceedings, 4-7 January 2011, Koloa, Kauai, HI, USA, pp. 1–10, 2011.
35th Annual IEEE International Computer Software and Applications Conference, Munich, Germany, 18-22 July 2011, pp. 556–561, 2011.
13th Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, AIME 2011, Bled, Slovenia, July 2-6, 2011. , pp. 307–311, 2011.
Mining Non-taxonomic Concept Pairs from Unstructured Text - A Concept Correlation Search Framework Inproceedings
WEBIST 2011, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands, 6-9 May, 2011, pp. 707–716, 2011.
Understanding Medicine 2.0 - Social Network Analysis and the VECoN System Inproceedings
Proceedings of the International Conference on Health Informatics, Rome, Italy, 26-29 January, 2011, pp. 70–79, 2011.
A Knowledge-centric e-Research Platform for Marine Life and Oceanographic Research Inproceedings
International Conference on Knowledge Management and Information Sharing, Valencia, Spain, October 25-28, 2010, pp. 363–366, 2010.
6th World Congress on Services, SERVICES 2010, Miami, Florida, USA, July 5-10, 2010, pp. 32–39, 2010.
Semantic Web-based modeling of Clinical Pathways using the UML Activity Diagrams and OWL-S Inproceedings
Knowledge Representation for Health-Care. Data, Processes and Guidelines, pp. 88-99, Springer, 2010.
Current Post Doctoral Fellows
- William Van Woensel. Investigations in mobile Reasoning Frameworks.
- Patrice Roy. Semantic Web based Event Processing for Smart Environments.
Past Post Doctoral Fellows
- Borna Jafarpour. Semantic Web for Clinical Decision Support, Feb. 2014 – Dec. 2014.
- Sangwhan Cha. Big Data Analytics Framework for Health, Jan. 2014 – Nov. 2014.
- Newras Al-Haider. Semantic Integration of Heterogeneous Data, April 2013 – Dec. 2014.
- Greg Lee. Computerizing Behaviour Modelling to Develop Personalized Interventions, June 2013 – Feb. 2014. (Co-Supervision)
- Ashraf Abusharekh. Big Data Management for an E-Science Framework, July 2009 – Dec. 2013.
- Jocelyne Fadoul. Investigations in Clinical Pathways, Sept. 2011 – Aug. 2012
- Andrew McIntyre. Machine Learning Methods for Analyzing Optic Disc Data for Glaucoma Detection, Jan. 2008 – Dec. 2008.
Current PhD (Computer Science and IDPhD)
- Hossein Hassanzadeh. TBD.
- Calvino Cheng. Process Mining to Abstract Clinical Pathways from Laboratory Information Data (IDPhD).
- Ghdeer Tashkandi. Personalized Patient Education Programs Driven by Computerized Health Models (IDPhD).
- Krista Elvidge. A Lifelong Patient Educational Intervention Program: Investigating the Role of Behavioural Models (IDPhD).
- Muzammil Bashir Ahmed. A Semantic Web Framework for Personalized Patient Care Planning in Hospital Settings (IDPhD).
Completed Ph.D. Thesis
- Borna Jafarpour. Ontology Merging Using Semantically-Defined Merge Criteria And Owl Reasoning Services: Towards Execution-Time Merging Of Multiple Clinical Workflows, Dec. 2013.
- Samuel Stewart. Combining Social Network And Semantic Content Analysis To Improve Knowledge Translation In Online Communities Of Practice (IDPhD), Dec. 2013.
- Joyline Makani. Knowledge Management in Knowledge Intensive Organizations: An Investigation of Factors Influencing Choices of Knowledge Management Systems (IDPhD), May 2012 (Co-Supervisor).
- Syed Sajjad Hussain. K-MORPH: Knowledge Morphing via Reconciliation of Contextualized Sub-ontologies, March 2011.
- Cheah Yu-N. A Knowledge Management Info-structure for Knowledge Creation: A Scenario-based Strategy for the Explication and Crystallisation of Tacit Knowledge, Universiti Sains Malaysia, May 2002.
Current Masters Theses (Computer Science & Health Informatics)
- Arun Salunke. Topic in Health Data Mining.
- Ahmad Marwan Ahmad. Topic in Knowledge Translation.
- Wasif Baig. Modeling Behaviour Modification Strategies to Derive Patient Educational Interventions, (Co-Supervisor).
Completed Masters Thesis
- Swapnil Mahajan. A Generic Framework for Providing Psychosocial Support to Patients through an Online Virtual World, Jan. 2015 (Co-Supervisor).
- Hani Mufti. Predictors of Post-operative Neurocognitive Complications in Patients Undergoing Cardiac Operation: A Predictive Analytics Approach, August 2014.
- Ehsan Maghsoudlou. Integrating Protocol-Driven Decision Support Within E-Referral System: Supporting Primary Care Practitioners For Spinal Care Consultation And Triaging, April 2014.
- Nelofar Kureshi. Personalized Medicine: Development of a Predictive Computational Model for Personalized Therapeutic Interventions, August 2013 (Co-Supervisor).
- Ali Haider Zaidi. An OWL Ontology for Modeling HL-7 Compliant Electronic Patient Records for Chronic Disease Management, Dec. 2012.
- Shirin Sharif. Characterization of a Longitudinal Care Plan Model For Managing Chronic Diseases: A Care Plan Ontology to Computerize Paper-Based Care Plans, April 2012.
- Nima Hashemian. Modelling Clinical Pathways as Business Process Models Using Business Process Modelling Notation, March 2012.
- Mostafa Omaish. Ontology-based Knowledge Model for an ACS Management Clinical Guideline: Handling Updates and Institutional Priorities, Dec. 2011.
- Syed Farrukh Mehdi. Exploiting Semantics and Syntax for service Specification and Signature Matching: The S5 Web Service Matchmaker, Dec. 2011.
- Ashraf Mohammed Iqbal. An Ontology-Based Electronic Medical Record for Chronic Disease Management, Feb. 2011 (Co-Supervisor).
- Ryan Druggan. Clinical Knowledge Modelling to Develop E-Clinics for Neuropituary Care, April 2010.
- Brett Taylor. Re-Imaging Surveillance in the Context of Emergency Care, August 2009.
- Muzammil Bashir Ahmad. Ontology Modelling for Nursing Care Plans and Clinical Practice Guidelines, April 2009.
- Shapoor Sheghani. Knowledge Modeling to Develop a Clinical Practice Guideline Ontology: Towards Computerization and Merging of Clinical Practice Guidelines, Sept. 2007.
- Katrina Hurley. Practice-Oriented Knowledge Abstraction in Development of an Ontology to Model Clinical Pathways, May 2007.
- Philip O’Brien. Semantic Web Approach for Context-Aware Knowledge Sharing, March 2007.
- Selana Davis. Personalization of Cardiovascular Risk Management Using Linkages of SCORE and Behaviour Change Readiness to Web-based Education, August 2006.
- Aliko Mwakatobe. Information Personalization on the Semantic Web Using Reasoning, August 2006.
- Yan Zeng. Pursuing Information Personalization as a Constraint Satisfaction Problem, Dec. 2005.
- Zeina Chedrawy. PRECISE: A Hybrid of Item-Based Collaborative Filtering and Case Based Reasoning for Contextual Information Personalization. July 2005.
- Sanjun Yan. Using Unsupervised Learning Methods to Sub-classify Optic Disk Damage Images, April 2005.
- Xuan Hu. Evaluating Discretization Techniques to Discretize Visual Field Data, April 2005.
- Qingshuang Jiang. Discovering Generalized Symbolic Rule from Un-annotated Data: A Hybrid of Rough Sets and Attribute Oriented Induction, April 2005.
- Jin Yu. A Hybrid Feature Selection Method Classifying Optic Nerve Images, April 2005.
- Brent Jones. Leveraging Clinical Practice Guidelines to Develop Objective User Models for Customizing Healthcare Information to Manage High Cholesterol, Sept. 2004.
- Zahid Hasan Zaidi. A Multi-Agent Info-Structure to Provide End-User Data Mining: From Automatic Query Generation to Algorithm Selection to Result Visualization. Universiti Sains Malaysia, August 2004.
- Zafar Iqbal Hashmi. An Intelligent Agent Framework for Context-Sensitive Knowledge Retrieval from an Enterprise Memory. Universiti Sains Malaysia, August 2004.
- Chong Yong Han. Adaptive Hypermedia and Constraint Satisfaction Programming: Towards Automated Generation of Personalized and Factually Consistent Healthcare Information. Universiti Sains Malaysia, Oct. 2003.
- Selvakumar Manickam. Automated Transformation of Generic Electronic-Medical-Records To Specialised Cases: Towards an Internet-Mediated, Multi-Tier Case-Base-Reasoning Info-Structure. Universiti Sains Malaysia, December 2002.
- Hoe Kok Meng. Knowledge Discovery from Unannotated Datasets: A Symbolic Rule Extraction Framework Featuring Neural Network Analysis and Rough Set Decision Synthesis. Universiti Sains Malaysia, July 2002.
- Wai Han Soo. A CBR Framework for Personalizing Healthcare Information. Universiti Sains Malaysia, August 2002.
- Jason Ong Hing Soon. Exploratory Data Mining Using Self-Organising Maps: An Info-Structure for Data Clustering. Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2000.
Current Masters Projects
- Perez Whitfield. Development of a Web-based Provincial NOAC Authorization System.
Completed Masters Projects
- Hari Gudigundla. Semantic Web Query Engine For Ocean Data, June 2014.
- Jagjit Sandhu. Ocean data browser: An Online Tool to Cluster and Analyze Multidimensional Ocean Data, Dec. 2011.
- Xin Sheng. Developing Social Networks from On-Line Discussions Between Emergency Care Health Professionals, Dec. 2004.
- Winston Ying. A Generic Framework to Incorporate Clinical Practice Guidelines for Information Personalization, Oct. 2004.
- Muqueem Lodhi. A Web Services Framework for Document Retrieval, Oct. 2004
- Fuhai Li. A Distributed Clinical Information System for Managing Breast Cancer Surgery, July 2004.
- Zhenming Hu. A Case-Based Reasoning Framework for Information Personalization, March 2004.
- Zhilun Gao. Applying Data Mining and Statistical Techniques to Create a Frailty Index from Geriatrics Data, Dec. 2003.
- Zarmina Nadeem. Using Decision Trees to Develop Predictive Models for Improved Product Sales Campaigns, Sept. 2003.
- Teh Kia Hock. Data-Mining for Customer Relationship Management (CRM) in an E-Commerce Environment, Universiti Sains Malaysia, May 2001.
- Lecthumanwan Balasubramaniam. A Generic Web-Mining Framework for Analysing Web Usage Patterns at Web-Portals, Universiti Sains Malaysia, May 2001.
- Chuah JuJu. Prediction and Sensitivity Analysis of General Data Using Neural Networks, Universiti Sains Malaysia, February 2000.
- Teh Woan Yong. Trend Analysis and Forecasting of Computer Network Traffic Using Neural Networks, Universiti Sains Malaysia, May 2000.
- Thiang Bee Nee. Using Neural Networks for DNA Sequence Analysis: Splice Site Prediction, Universiti Sains Malaysia, May 2000.
- Ng Sim Yam. Anatomy Advisor on the World Wide Web, Universiti Sains Malaysia, September 1999.
- Lee Gim Hoo. A System for Electronic Health Survey over the World Wide Web, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Sept. 1999.
- Ph.D. University of Surrey, Guildford, UK: 1994
Specialization: Computer Sciences (Neural Networks & AI)
- M.S. University of Miami, Miami, USA: 1989
Specialization: Computer Engineering
- B.Engg. N.E.D. University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi, Pakistan: 1986
Specialization: Electronic Engineering
- Best paper award at 16th International Symposium on Health Information Management Research (iSHIMR), Halifax, June 2013.
- Best paper award at 2nd Advances in Health Informatics Conference, Toronto, April 2012.
- Research Excellence Award, Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University, 2011.
- Best paper award at 11th International Symposium on Health Information Management Research (iSHIMR), Halifax, July 2006
- Best paper award at 39th IEEE Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (IT in healthcare track), Hawaii, January 2006.
- Best paper award at 38th IEEE Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (IT in healthcare track), Hawaii, January 2005.
- Best paper award at 16th International Congress of the European Federation for Medical Informatics (MIE’2000), Hannover, 2000.
- VHK International Award for Innovation in Medical Informatics, Hannover, August 2000. The award was adjudged based on my R&D work presented at the International Congress of Medical Informatics in Europe (MIE’2000) in Hannover, Germany.
- Professor (July 2007 – To date), Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
- Professor (April 2013 – To date) [Cross-Appointment], Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada.
- Director of Health Informatics (July 2005 – To date), Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada.
- Adjunct Professor (March 2008 – 2012), Multimedia University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Associate Professor (Jan 2002 – June 2007), Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada.
- Associate Professor (May 1999 – Dec 2001), School of Computer Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia.
- Lecturer (Oct. 1995 – April 1999), School of Computer Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia.
- Research Officer (March 1993 – Dec 1994), AI Group, Dept. of Computing Sciences, Univ. of Surrey, Guildford, England.